About

Per Fidem Intrepidus means "Fearless Through Faith". My courage isn't my own, it comes from the Holy Spirit, it's my faith in God and my personal savior Christ Jesus that calms my fears and allows me to move forward in this fallen world. Personally I'm afraid of a lot of stuff, but having the faith that Jesus adopted me as his little, sin filled, brother keeps me going.

Wednesday, November 21, 2018

WWUTT Wednesday - Born Again

John 3:3

Back in the 60's the "Jesus Freaks" strode the countryside advertising their born again-ness. A few years later main stream Christians began calling themselves as Born Again Christians (as opposed to Born Again Heathens?). What would happen if "again" was something else?

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but hear me out. In John 3:3 Jesus says “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” to which Nicodemus famously asked "How can a man be born when he is old? He cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb and be born, can he?" The word again in the original Greek was ἄνωθεν (anōthen) which means "again" but it also means "from above" In John 3:5-6 Jesus clarifies that He meant being born of the spirit which to me indicates he was explaining that when He said ἄνωθεν (anōthen) he didn't mean "again" he meant "from above", so John 3:7 could rightfully be translated to “Do not be amazed that I said to you, You must be born from above.

While I try to find a Born From Above Christian t-shirt, feel free to tell me what you think about my take on ἄνωθεν (anōthen). 






No comments:

Post a Comment