About

Per Fidem Intrepidus means "Fearless Through Faith". My courage isn't my own, it comes from the Holy Spirit, it's my faith in God and my personal savior Christ Jesus that calms my fears and allows me to move forward in this fallen world. Personally I'm afraid of a lot of stuff, but having the faith that Jesus adopted me as his little, sin filled, brother keeps me going.

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Live Blogging Harvest America

After the Philadelphia Eagles got plucked by the Broncos 52 to 20 Greg Laurie put on Day 2 of a multimedia production called Harvest America. He's been advertising this in Calvary Chapel churches for months so Mrs WideAwakeChristian has been really hyped about this. With the laptop plugged into the 55" we're watching the live stream from the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia.

One hour in and we've had little more than secular music with a slight christian flavoring. Two easily forgettable (to me) acts have been center stage singing a nonstop litany of I I I me me me my my my gimme gimme gimme - a literal selflovefest to the point where I'm ready to throw a rock through the TV. Jeremy Camp was the first act, and to be honest when he stopped singing he had a beautiful clear gospel message, but his songs were horrific: selfish, secular, insipid, and monotonous. He really should smash his guitar to pieces and go to seminary, he's clearly got the love of God and fire in his heart to be a top rate preacher.



The current band, Mercy Me really is the epitome of CCM (Contemporary Christian Music) Godlessness, they just did three songs and only used the word Jesus four times. The first song was a nice song, but it was not worship music, it was a dance number, which was a pretty good song, but at a revival meeting? Could you imagine an old time tent meeting where the band breaks into the beer barrel polka? The last two songs they played I lost count of how many they used the word "I" nothing remotely Biblical has been uttered by this band. Mercy Me is a good sounding band, but not a Christian band, they need to be

In the first hour and 15 minutes the only true bible teaching has come from Phil Robertson, AKA Duck Dynasty Duck Commander. I need to watch that show more often.

One hour and 18 minutes in and Greg Laurie has started his message "Home Before Dark" it was worth waiting for!

Greg's message was one of his best, his sermon was centered around the parable of the prodigal son telling his audience to come home to God. He spoke of sin, salvation, repentance, and redemption. His message was pure gospel and he didn't make any happy clappy promises of peace and joy and a painless existence, just a closer relationship with God and a place in His house when we go to meet Him. After having many come down to make a public declaration for Jesus and leading a sinners prayer, Greg and counselors handed out bibles and directed people to local churches.

The message was wonderful but it just breaks my heart that the worship music worshipped man rather than God. Next time Greg, leave the noise behind and take Phil Robertson with you.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a narrow definition of worship music. I'm guessing you don't like songs like Amazing Grace and Be Thou My Vision because they don't mention the name Jesus once.
    Instead of ripping the music and lyrics why not quote what you didn't like and explain thoughtfully why. Every generation complains about the next generation's music. Dialog and explanation is a lot more constructive than griping.
    -Jimmy
    jimmyshnebby@juno.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. When we've been here ten thousand years
    Bright shining as the sun.
    We've no less days to sing God's praise
    Than when we've first begun.

    I've written several articles on Worship music, you're free to read them all, including the very long one I wrote on Amazing Grace

    ReplyDelete