About

Per Fidem Intrepidus means "Fearless Through Faith". My courage isn't my own, it comes from the Holy Spirit, it's my faith in God and my personal savior Christ Jesus that calms my fears and allows me to move forward in this fallen world. Personally I'm afraid of a lot of stuff, but having the faith that Jesus adopted me as his little, sin filled, brother keeps me going.

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Lets Just Skip Halloween This Year

I may just be "chasing after the wind" but I'm really not happy with Halloween and our national orgy of satanic ritual. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good sugar rush as much as the next seven year old, and my favorite shopping day is November 1st when all the halloween size Kit-Kat's and Almond Joys are 75% off at the local Piggly Wiggly, but what at price are we selling our souls just for a party?

If the words "Everyone's doing it" come to your lips then shame on you. We're Christians! When we see that everyone's doing it we should instinctively turn away! Or at least instinctively find out exactly what is going on. While the whole world was sacrificing their children to Moloch and Baal our theological ancestors were railing against that. While all of the known world reeling in drunken orgies our theological ancestors were burned at the stake for their faith to illuminate those parties. While papistry ran rampant throughout Europe usurping governments and selling indulgences our theological ancestors were hunted down like dogs by the inquisition for the sin of reading the true word of God in the holy scriptures. We Christians are the original rugged individuals putting our faith and trust in Jesus, not in society. Here's my reason why you won't find me unless you know where I'm studying my bible come October 31: 

Halloween has long been known as "The Festival of the Dead" and pagan religions consider this day to be the day that the 'veil' between the living and the dead is at it's thinnest. Of course no pagan has ever explained to me how this imaginary veil erodes in October and then re-inflates back to it's normal viscosity a few hours later, nor have they ever been able to explain how this metaphysical phenomenon is tied to a calender date on a calender that's been changed and edited countless times and actually changes every year the summer Olympics are on TV. 

And regardless of the cute packaging and the fervent denials of the devout, neopaganism is just like many other cults and is simply sugar coated satanism, it's main saving grace is that it doesn't pretend to be "just another form of Christianity". I know Wiccans who profess that their religion is simply a love of nature (loving the creation while denying the creator) and and it's the Old Religion practiced since time immemorial, and they don't even believe in the devil, so how could it possibly be satanism? But that's a post for another time.

The vast majority of the Halloween revelers will undoubtedly be non-pagans and if they are Christian they will be of the Easter Bunny variety, and of course Catholics (well, they did start this whole thing after all). Kids seem to be in the minority of the revelers, which is odd considering the fact that handing out treats on Halloween night was a way to bribe the 'little angels' to not play tricks (read: vandalize) your property. Now other than the toddlers it's mostly the 20 to 40 somethings that are out raising hell on Hell Night. For those of you that have never been to an 'adult' Halloween party do yourself a favor and don't go. My main complaint is the incredible drunkenness and the activity that the drink inspires, however recently the costumes for women have gotten 'way out of hand. If I caught either of my daughters dressing like that in public I'd lock them in their rooms and ground them for a month. Their husbands I'd ground for TWO months for allowing their wives to dress like that. 

So here is my main reason for not celebrating: Halloween is a pagan holiday which was usurped by the Catholic church (which does nothing to redeem it) where immature people get drunk and carry on in a manner that would embarrass themselves if they were sober enough to realize what they were doing. Drugs, alcohol, death, necromancy, witchcraft, Satan, and sex are all worshiped like they were virtues while true virtues are twisted into sick parodies for the entertainment of drunken revelers.

As a Christian there's no way I should ever do anything that would possibly imply that I condone that form of behavior in any way shape or form. We Christians are required to live to a higher standard because we are God's representatives here on earth. God wants people to look at us and say "So that's how you do it!" God wants us to be examples of Christ's standards, not the worlds standards. While our less enlightened friends dance in the moonlight and worship every thing dark and evil, we Christians should be kneeling in the light worshiping everything good and holy. 
 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12:2)
Realizing how your behavior and appearance are perceived by others is an important part of being a Christian. Everything a Christian does influences what people think of Christians as a whole and God Himself. Does this mean we must be perfect? No, we all stumble, but it's important once we stumble to avoid that stumbling block forever more.
Let your light shine before men in such a way that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)
And that's why I don't celebrate Halloween in any way other than reading my bible.

No comments:

Post a Comment