About

Per Fidem Intrepidus means "Fearless Through Faith". My courage isn't my own, it comes from the Holy Spirit, it's my faith in God and my personal savior Christ Jesus that calms my fears and allows me to move forward in this fallen world. Personally I'm afraid of a lot of stuff, but having the faith that Jesus adopted me as his little, sin filled, brother keeps me going.

Tuesday, August 27, 2013

All You Who Are Weary And Burdened


It's not easy being green, but it's not easy to be blue either. Doubt, discouragement, depression isn't just for the secular world, we Christians are humans, our faith and love in Jesus doesn't prevent us from getting the flu, it's not going to prevent us from other human maladies such as depression. There's even evidence of depression striking God's people in the bible such as the prophet Elijah:
3 Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, 4 while he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness. He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.” (1 Kings 19:2-4)

Charles Spurgeon, one of the finest preachers of any age was wracked by depression quite often;
I am the subject of depression so fearful that I hope none of you ever get to such extremes of wretchedness as I go to... I have sometimes been the means in God’s hand of heling a man who suffered with a desponding spirit. But the help I have rendered has cost me dearly. Hours after, I have been myself depressed, and I have felt an inability to shake it off.” (Charles Spurgeon)
Of course even Spurgeon had issues, but I just got day to day 'normal' stuff on my mind, Charles Spurgeon had issues. As a youth he survived a cholera epidemic that took many of his friends. As an adult during one service where ten thousand people were in attendance. During his sermon someone shouted "FIRE!" In the following panic scores of people were injured and seven people died. It's said that Spurgeon sank into a deep depression and never really recovered.

Jesus understands our dark horrible feelings, our discouragement and frustration and even our depression. Depression and sadness is a reminder that pain and suffering are not what God intended for us. We were created for intimacy with Him and each other. As believers we know that all of creation longs for the return of our savior, and our depression reminds us that we too are longing to be held in Jesus arms on his return. 

Regardless of the reasons for depression we can learn much from the experience and we can ask God for insights that will bring us closer to Him and into service toward others. If we get stuck into sadness too long we can become begin to believe that such dark feelings are normal. 

I know for a fact for me a lot of depression is caused by the fact that I feel that I'm just not good enough. So many things I fail at, so many sins I commit, I just don't feel worthy enough. I know I'm failing and I just try harder, and I know that my efforts are worthless because my salvation, indeed my entire life, is the work of the Lord, and a vicious cycle begins. My greatest failing is forgetting that Jesus is not only my Savior, but He personally adopted me as his kid brother and He has given me the best advice I could ever possibly get;
28 “Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.” (Matthew 11:28-30)

No comments:

Post a Comment