About

Per Fidem Intrepidus means "Fearless Through Faith". My courage isn't my own, it comes from the Holy Spirit, it's my faith in God and my personal savior Christ Jesus that calms my fears and allows me to move forward in this fallen world. Personally I'm afraid of a lot of stuff, but having the faith that Jesus adopted me as his little, sin filled, brother keeps me going.

Wednesday, November 11, 2015

Thank YOU For Your Support

Happy Veterans Day to my brothers and sisters who served in the Army, Coast Guard, Marine Corps, Navy, and USAF. If anything can be said about our joint venture is that the only commonality was that it was life changing. Even those that served a short time had their lives changed. They may deny it, but they're the ones showing up on time for work, and the ones that know that right or wrong the boss is the boss. 

Many men and women's faith was renewed and strengthened during their service. I know during my career that God sent many hints and reminders that He had plans for me, like when a live 500 lb bomb dropped four feet off a bomb lift truck 10 feet away from me, and when it hit the concrete ramp it merely bounced. I'm sure we all received little messages like that, some not so subtle either. 

On this Veterans Day I'd also like to thank those that supported us, the civilians. they stand behind us cheering us on and depending on us for protection and security no matter how daffy our political leaders get with our orders.

As a 20 year veteran who has been there, done that, got all kinds of T-shirts and a few cuts and bruises - I would like to take the opportunity to thank YOU for your support and pray that you continue your support of those marvelous kids on active duty, those in the guard and reserves, and those that are now making the decision to serve. As G.K. Chesterton wrote a century ago:
“The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.”
And that is still the truth today for all of my brothers and sisters in uniform and those of us now out of uniform but willing to return at a moment’s notice; we do what we have to do because we sincerely love what we guard and protect.

And no veteran can ever fully thank the most important person in the military, the ones that stand next to us. Those brave women and men who suffer with us when we fail, cheer us on when we're discouraged, rise with us when we succeed, and raise our children alone when we're otherwise engaged. They weep for us when we deploy and weep again when we return. 

We military members forget that when we have a gun in our hand, or a wrench, or a joystick, or even a keyboard, we can do something, we have some form of control over our situation. Our wives and husbands back "in the land of the Big BX" can only wait and worry and pray. I know for a fact that they don't get the information your commander said he'd provide them, so they wait in fear and dread expecting the worst, and praying for the best. So when someone thanks you for your service, thank them for their support and tell them to thank your spouse, she/he had the hardest job in the military.

1 comment:

  1. I only spent 4 yrs, 8 mos, in the green, but I got out with two very important things:
    1. I became a Christian 14 months before I got out, through meetings with the Navigators.
    2. I met my wife on my last leave, 7 months before I got out.

    The two most important things in my life, just because I was in the Army!

    ReplyDelete