About

Per Fidem Intrepidus means "Fearless Through Faith". My courage isn't my own, it comes from the Holy Spirit, it's my faith in God and my personal savior Christ Jesus that calms my fears and allows me to move forward in this fallen world. Personally I'm afraid of a lot of stuff, but having the faith that Jesus adopted me as his little, sin filled, brother keeps me going.

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Precious Lord Take My Hand

I just can't do it without you dear Jesus, take me, lead me

Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on,
Let me stand
I'm tired, I am weak I am worn
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on to the light
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home

When my way grows drear precious Lord linger near
When my life is almost gone
Hear my cry,
Hear my call
Hold my hand lest I fall
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home

When the dark appears and the night draws near
And the day is past and gone
At the river I stand
Guide my feet,
Hold my hand
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home


Precious Lord, take my hand
Lead me on,
Let me stand
I am tired, I am weak, I am worn
Through the storm, through the night
Lead me on to the light
Take my hand precious Lord, lead me home






In 1932 while Reverend Thomas Dorsey, a very prolific hymn writer, was leading a church service, a man came on to the platform and handed him a telegram - his wife had just died in childbirth. Within the day his newborn baby had died also compounding his grief and misery. Thomas quickly spiraled downward into the depths of despair, doubting the goodness of God and determining never to write another hymn.

A week after that horrible day, Thomas was in the depths of his grief, sitting alone at a piano in a friend's music room. Into the room came a heavy peace such as he had never known before. As that peace enveloped him, Thomas felt the urge to play the piano. His fingers found a familiar melody, "Maitland" by American composer George N. Allen,  and as he played the familiar tune the words to Precious Lord, Take My Hand began to well up from his heart and to spill out of his mouth. God had given him a song that would lift him from despair and ease his horrible pain.

Precious Lord, Take My Hand has been translated into more than 40 languages, has been sung by some of the biggest names in music, including Mahalia Jackson, Aretha Franklin, Randy Travis, Ronnie Mislap Hank Williams Sr, Ricky Van Shelton, and Elvis Presley. It was Dr. Martin Luther King's favorite song and he often invited gospel singer Mahalia Jackson to sing it at civil rights rallies to inspire the crowds; at his request she sang it at his funeral in April 1968. King's last words were, just before being shot, was to play it at a mass he planned to attend the night of his assassination.

This song is our plaintive wail and a painful reminder that we can't do this life alone. We are not designed to do it alone, we need God's help in everything we do. We are made in God's image, and being triune God is not alone in anything He does, so how can we expect to do what He won't? Why don't we learn from that?

No comments:

Post a Comment