About

Per Fidem Intrepidus means "Fearless Through Faith". My courage isn't my own, it comes from the Holy Spirit, it's my faith in God and my personal savior Christ Jesus that calms my fears and allows me to move forward in this fallen world. Personally I'm afraid of a lot of stuff, but having the faith that Jesus adopted me as his little, sin filled, brother keeps me going.

Monday, August 29, 2016

No Peace For The Wicked x 2

I was listening to a sermon by Dr. Tony Snow on my way in to work and he was discussing Jehovah Shalom, a title for God which only occurs once in the bible in Judges 6:24. (Actually it's not a title for God, it's the name of an alter that Gideon made to worship God) Jehovah Shalom means "God is Peace", an interesting name for an alter considering what was happening to Israel at the time. (Judges 6 is an incredible read, God, Jesus, Baal, and Ashrah are all in there)

During the sermon Dr. Tony mentioned "there is no peace for the wicked" in Isaiah, now I had always heard it "There is no rest for the wicket" but that was from my Mom who could mangle a metaphor like no ones business (she's the one who coined the phrase "If the truth hurts, wear it"). When I got to my computer I looked up "no peace for the wicked" and found that it is in Isaiah, twice.
There is no peace for the wicked," says the LORD. (Isaiah 48:22 and Isaiah 57:21)
When something is repeated in the bible, it is something that God wants you to understand. First I double checked to make sure that there was no fiddling around with the translation and found that both verses are exactly the same except for in Isaiah 48:22 God is called YÄ•hovah ("the existing One") and in Isaiah 57:21 He is called 'elohiym (A plural word (gods) but used in a singular tense). This verse is repeated almost verbatim, so it's got to be important. 


Both verses come at the end of their respective chapters and both verses come at the end of a nine chapter section in Isaiah. The most important part is context, and in the bible, context is everything. In Isaiah 48 God is telling the people of Israel to get out of Babylon and is commenting on the wickedness of Babylon but He is also talking about the wickedness of Israel in that chapter
If only you had paid attention to My commandments! Then your peace would have been like a river, And your righteousness like the waves of the sea. (Isaiah 48:18)
In other words; if you had obeyed Me you wouldn't have ended up held captive in Babylon, but instead you were wicked and see what happened?

In Isaiah 57 God is again berating Israel for their lack of faith, for worshiping Baal, for adultery and child sacrifice, but He promises peace to the humble
18 “I have seen his ways, but I will heal him; I will lead him and restore comfort to him and to his mourners, 19 Creating the praise of the lips. Peace, peace to him who is far and to him who is near,” Says the Lord, “and I will heal him.” (Isaiah 57:18-19)
So even though they had turned their backs on God and performed these abominable heathen practices God still promises His restoration. But again there is no peace for the wicked. Peace is found through His Son, Jesus Christ.
15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body; and be thankful. 16 Let the word of Christ richly dwell within you, with all wisdom teaching and admonishing one another with psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with thankfulness in your hearts to God. 17 Whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. (Colossians 3:15-17)

No comments:

Post a Comment