About

Per Fidem Intrepidus means "Fearless Through Faith". My courage isn't my own, it comes from the Holy Spirit, it's my faith in God and my personal savior Christ Jesus that calms my fears and allows me to move forward in this fallen world. Personally I'm afraid of a lot of stuff, but having the faith that Jesus adopted me as his little, sin filled, brother keeps me going.

Sunday, December 2, 2012

L.O.T.S. - So... Who Is This Jesus Fellow?

"Who is Jesus" is kind of an odd question - thousands upon thousands of books have been written about him, in fact the best selling book of all times, the Bible, is his autobiography. So why does this question even exist?

Because we don't stop to learn who Jesus is, we just ask and take the first answer given to us, then ignore the rest. Many Americans, self professed Christians (basically people who should know who Jesus is) when asked who Jesus is will answer "A good person" and to them that's it. These people will tell you that the Bible is the word of God, 99% say that the bible is accurate but about 70% will then tell you that they have doubts about what the Bible says about Jesus. Their problem is Jesus' exclusivity about salvation, that whole John 14:6* thing seems to bother them.

I've heard from people whom I thought really knew Jesus such inane frivolities like Jesus was a good man, and Jesus was a wise teacher and nothing more than that. So I started the L.O.T.S. series of posts to help reintroduce Jesus to the world. To get the ball rolling let's start out with what you need to know about Jesus. To get started if you don't know Jesus there's only 4 things you need to know about Him:

1. Jesus is the son of God

2. Jesus is God

3. Jesus died for your sins

4. Jesus is the one true path into heaven.

Numbers 1 and 2 sound contradictory, but we're not talking auto parts or computer programs here, we're talking about spiritual mysteries of the highest order, and we will address this in more depth in the future. But for now as we are just getting to know Jesus here let's address this with one of his greatest quotes:
And looking at them Jesus said to them, "With people this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." - Matt 19:26
This applies to a different (but just as intense situation) but it really applies here. Just let that wash over you - with God all things are possible - no, he's not going to give us all ponies for Christmas, but he could if he thought it would save your soul from eternal damnation. Instead he gave us something more awesome - he forgave all of our sins, and all he asks is that you admit that you sinned and thank him for it. And that covers item 3 and 4 which we'll cover in future L.O.T.S. installments, but one question I can answer right now:

Q: Why do you call Jesus "The Lord Of The Sabbath"?

A: Because he said he is The Lord Of The Sabbath. (Mark 2:28)

There's so much more to cover, and I really intend to show in L.O.T.S. posts some really cool things Jesus said and did, and as I stumble on them I'm completely in awe of how much much more than just a "good man" Jesus truly is.
__________________________________________________________

*John 14-6 states "Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." That does sound pretty exclusive, but when the road map shows that there's no way to drive to Hawaii from Los Angeles do these people reject Rand McNally for being too exclusive too?

No comments:

Post a Comment